Draw Your Life: Illustrated Map Journal
I have a friend who I love dearly and see about once a year. Yes, you can be close to someone and not see them but once a year. Introverts, unite! This year, she called me up and said that she was going to Portland, Maine and wanted to know if I wanted to go with her. Portland, Maine? Lobster? East coast architecture? Sign me up!
We stayed at the most adorable places in Portland. First up, the Pomegranate Inn in the west end. A gorgeous old home with the most unique rooms. I definitely give it all the thumbs up. We drove a little outside of the city for our second abode, an Airbnb on Broadturn flower farm. So many peonies!!
My husband recently gifted me with an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil (I love him!), and I used my new found love of Procreate to do a little digital journaling of my trip. Using much the same process as I talk about in my Skillshare class, I created an illustrated map of one of our days in Portland. I wanted to share with you a few steps on how to create an illustrated map journal, so you can get started drawing your own life experiences!
- Create your base map using a screen shot of google maps as a guide.
- Sketch out your coastline, roads, water, etc. I am using Lisa Bardot’s Pencilbox brushes for Procreate. They are AMAZING!
- I decided to go with little logos as a representation for all the places we visited that day instead of sketching out little buildings. I just wanted a little memento of what the place was about.
- Add some hand lettering.
- Draw the compass.
- Fill in with some yummy texture.
- Refine your color palette. If you’re anything like me, you probably spend WAAYY too long on this part, but oh well.
- Enjoy your new illustrated map journal!